Undertaking of electrical installation work in domestic properties on the Isle of Man must comply with Part P (Electrical Safety – Dwellings) of the Building Regulations, whether they are a professional or a homeowner.

Those who do not are committing a criminal offence.

For new supplies the New Connection Form must be completed, for all other alterations the Test Certificate & Connection Form must be completed and signed by a Part P registered electrician and provided to Manx Utilities prior to ANY connection to a property. This is required for additional loads, circuit additions, rewires and connections of additional apparatus to existing installations.

  • homeowners using electricians not registered with such a scheme must notify Local Authority Building Control in advance of all work by making an application for approval prior to start of works on site and pay relevant plan and site inspection fees
  • alternatively, homeowners can employ an Approved Competent Person Scheme electrician to carry out the work who will notify your Local Building Control Authority within 30 days of completion of works. A Completion Certificate will be issued to you and the Building Authority, free of charge
  • homeowners and contractors need to be aware of what Part P means and its overall objectives to help improve industry standards and prevent injuries caused by substandard domestic electrical installation work

Up-to-date list: Electrical Contractors on the Isle of Man 

Or you can contact them by: email: buildingcontrol@gov.im Tel: (01624) 685902 

For a more detailed explanation of the things you may need to do for your new service, see our Service Requirements or phone us on (01624) 687687.